Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Outsourcing

Last week, I received a credit card offer from a bank. So, I decided to call the bank to apply for it over the phone. As soon as the call went through, I heard a man's voice greeting on the other side of the phone. His voice has a heavy indian accent which is not unusual. But later when I talked to him about the details of the offer, and I provided my information over the phone, I noticed there is an obvious delay on the other recieving end. And I cannot help asking him where his physical location is. And the answer from him is just what I expected. He told me he is in New Delhi, India. He works for an Indian company which has contract agreements with the U.S bank that offered me the credit card. And it made me think how many jobs are disappearing in the U.S. and the future of job market by the time I graduate would be very competive and demands skills that are specific and unique which means it cannot be easily attained from oversea workers with lower pay rate but can offer the same quality services. I guess outsourcing is necessary for business to compete in today's globalized market; on the other hand, it also puts lots of pressure on domestic labor markets. Jobs that are existed before is now permanently relocated in another country. People in the U.S. have to be aware of this trend, and be prepared for an ever competitive job market ahead.

No comments: